Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Foodie Post #6

I stumbled upon an article called "Social Media Swaying Restaurant-Goers" on Food Business News, and I found out some pretty interesting statistics. I have talked a lot about the power of food on social media in influencing purchases and visiting restaurants, but I had no idea how extreme it was. 

According to this article, 75% of diners browse social media and choose a place to eat based on the photos they see. Almost half the diners nationally said they take photos of their food to post on social media. Almost 20% of diners said they even pick specific restaurants just to take food pictures. 

At the restaurant, 60% of people stop their friends from eating so they can take a photo while 50% of people say they take photos of everyones meals at the table, and even 5% said they take photos of food from different tables. Most of the food on social media is trendy food such as ramen noodles and avocado toast. 

These statistics seem crazy, however I witness this in everyday life. My friends all have food instagrams, all have their phones out at meals, and I am often stopped before eating to take pictures. We see pictures of food an HAVE to go there. I always put my good looking food on my snap chat stories. It blows my mind how much we believe our food defines our identity. I always want to appear be eating interesting, healthy options to show the world I have good taste. 

Comment if you do this too!

eat up!

2 comments:

  1. I am totally guilty of doing this. I use my insta to stock restaurants, especially if I want a photo-worthy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally convinced by photos to visit a place to eat for not. Good photos are good promotion.

    ReplyDelete